History of the Pear Walk
The property was acquired in 1892 by Mr. Frank Walker, a
plantsman who was trained at Kew Gardens. He planted
orchards and expanded the acreage to encompass an orchard
(at one stage over 90 acres was under fruit) where he grew
not only fruit trees but flowers for cutting and shrubs for
sale. When he acquired exotic plants, they were grown under
special conditions to acclimatize them to local conditions.
They were then sold. The business was thriving at its
height. Fruit output reached 16,000 cases in one season.
When work in the orchard slowed, Mr. Walker kept workers
busy by planting the Pear Arch and the Arbour Walk.
Now reduced to
thirty acres, the two walks still stand although they have
both been sadly neglected. Bruce and Libby Goodsir revived
the Pear Arch, which was featured in Australian Garden
Design in 1987, but the Arbour Walk remained too daunting a
task. The present owners are hoping to restore both walks
to their former beauty and have opened the Arbour Walk which
had been neglected for some forty years.
A new Laburnum
Walk and a has been planted and this is now part of a
parkland garden which is being cultivated to include the
existing house, built circa 1890, and two cottages built for
country accommodation in the 1980’s.
Trees & Shrubs of Significance
in The Pear Walk Gardens
Two types of pear
tree were planted in the Pear Arch - KeIffer's Hybrid while
not self-pollinating, was considered one of the best canning
pears, and it was mixed with Beurre Clirgeau.
planting of the walk, done in about 1906, was of 24 trees on
each side of the arch, twenty feet apart. On each side of
the arch, a space of four feet in width was devoted to the
growing of Ghent (mollis azaleas),Rhododendrons and Japanese
maples (Acer japonicum). At one end of the walk are two
copper beeches (Fagus ‘Dawyck Purple’). At the other are
two recently planted paeony camellias “Dixie Knight”.
A mixture of
bulbs can also be found, mostly of the narcissus family and
some Kalmia (Ericacea) Latifolia, which were part of the
original planting. New pear trees are being planted to
replace those that have succumbed to age.
Beginning at two
enormous Cryptomeria japonica Taxodiaceae, this walk is not
for the faint-hearted. Gumboots are needed to appreciate
the full extent of this feature which ends at a natural
spring that was here long before the original purchase of
the property. Large Cyathea Dicksonia Antarctica still stand
and the walk has been planted with some magnificent tree
specimens. A huge Liriodendron has grown amidst
rhododendrons, camellias, birches flowering cherries,
wisteria and flowering gums, pussy willow and Styrax. This
walk is as long as the Pear Walk but with a completely
different ambiance. Work is in progress and many more hours
are needed to restore this feature.
plants on the Property
nigra, pendula, papyrifera
Phormium tenax grandiflorum
Grandiflora, M. Stellata
Fastuosum Flora Pleno
Fastuosum Flora Pleno
Mrs. Furnival's Daughter
‘Constance Spry’ etc.
hollandica, procera, parvifolia, Dicksonii
burkwoodii, macrocephalum, tinus, carlesii
Wellingtonia gigantea (planted
in 1904, in 1929 it was 4 feet in diameter and 60
Thuja plicatSituated on the wine
route in the middle of nowhere